APGFCU encourages thrift in savings and provides education in the wise and responsible use of credit in order to make stellar money managers out of our younger members. Current APGFCU members in good standing are eligible and encouraged to apply for our annual college scholarship. Members must be a graduating high school student with a 3.0 GPA or higher.
Signed and completed applications must be postmarked or received in one of our eleven branches or My Loan Centers no later than February 1, 2017.
Questions? Call 410-893-7359 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student applicant must be a current APGFCU member in good standing
- High school student with a minimum 3.0 GPA anticipating a spring graduation
- Deadline is February 1st (postmarked or received in our branches)
- Complete the APGFCU Scholarship Application available via download from our website at www.APGFCU.com.(Student may indicate "undecided" in the College and Major areas of the application.)
- Write an original essay (both in content and idea) of 500 words or less on the following topic: What resources or services can your credit union provide to better educate youth and help them manage their finances? Essay should be typed - double spaced, 12 pt. Times-Roman font. Correct grammar, spelling and punctuation is expected.
- Complete the FREE APGFCU online course "Who Needs Money?” found on our website at www.APGFCU.com under Education & Advice, Financial Education, FoolProof, FoolProof SOLO, Additional Modules, Module #14. Print the e-mail you receive for course completion and quiz results and include a copy with your submission.
- Include an official transcript of your high school grades for your junior year and your most recent senior year report card.
- Include a description of your community service/volunteer work, employment, and participation in extra-curricular activities after school (e.g. school clubs, organizations, sports, etc.). Also include any honors or awards you have received. All factors are considered when making the award decision.
- Mail your complete scholarship package postmarked no later than February 1st to: APGFCU Scholarship Competition ATTN: Education Department PO Box 1176, Aberdeen, MD 21001-6176, or drop it off at any of our convenient community branches by February 1st.
APGFCU is not responsible for any typographical errors in any scholarship material; stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete or illegible scholarship applications or essays; or applications processed late, incorrectly or lost due to computer, electronic malfunction or human error.
Rules and Regulations:
The Financial Education staff and Community Involvement Committee volunteers of APGFCU will evaluate, judge and approve the scholarships to be awarded to all winners. Scoring is as follows:
Essay: 1–5 points (content, originality, grammar, punctuation, spelling and within defined word count.)
GPA: 5.00 and above = 5 points
4.00 - 4.99 = 4 points
3.75 – 3.99 = 3 points
3.50 – 3.74 = 2 points
3.00 – 3.49 = 1 point
Activity outside of school curriculum: 1 point for each qualifying criteria.
- All submitted essays will become the property of APGFCU and may be included in future APGFCU newsletters, website, brochures, trade journals, newspapers, and other forms of media publication. By submitting and signing the application, applicant, or if a minor, applicant’s parent or legal guardian, consents and authorizes the use of the applicant’s name and photograph in any APGFCU publication, advertisement, publicity, correspondence and/or disclosure.
- Applicant must provide APGFCU with proof of admission from the intended school where the scholarship award is to be applied, as the scholarships will be awarded in check form, payable to the recipient and school.
- Financial need is NOT a factor in applicant’s evaluation.
- Scholarships are limited to a one-time award. Decision of the judges is final.
- The scholarship winners will be announced by April 7th and awarded at APG Federal Credit Union’s Annual Meeting on April 20th, 2017.
- APGFCU staff, board members, volunteers, and their immediate family members are NOT eligible for this scholarship.