If your identity is stolen, the Federal Trade Commission recommends that you take these actions immediately:
1. Request a fraud alert in your file at the 3 major credit bureaus. This will prevent further damage from being done.
2. Call APGFCU and any other financial institutions you may have and tell them you think you may be a victim of identity theft.
3. Contact the creditors for any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
4. Call all your credit card issuers.
5. File a report with your local police or in the community where the identity theft took place. Keep a copy in case your creditors need proof of a crime.
6. If you think your Social Security number was taken, call the FTC Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271.
7. You can also file a complaint with the FTC by contacting the FTC's Identity Theft Hotline.
Toll-free: 1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338); TDD: 202-326-2502
Identity Theft Clearinghouse
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, D.C. 20580